October 26, 2016

Finding Your Boat

"...when a great crowd heard all that he was doing, they came to him. And he told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, lest they crush him, for he had healed many, so all who had diseases pressed around him to touch him." 
(Mark 3: 8b-10)
I want to share with you all something that has been instrumental during this outreach here in Cape Town. I feel like this is something that all of us can grab hold of in every season of our lives. The idea was presented during one of our house meetings a couple weeks back by our lovely host home parents (Love you Rich and Lynn). Rich sat and quoted that very passage from Mark 3 that discusses the great crowd that followed Jesus. Jesus tells his disciples to have a boat ready because the people continued to crowd him ("lest they crush him"). Even ministry for Jesus was overwhelming, how much more for us? As we are pouring ourselves out in ministry we tend to get a little weighed down, especially when we are working with people in very difficult situations. Our cups can sometimes run empty and it's so important that we have our "boats" to retreat to lest we get crushed in the process of pouring out. 
"Boats" can look different for everyone; going for a run, reading a good book, or taking a bubble bath (a personal favorite), for some it might be spending sometime cooking in the kitchen, or watching a lighthearted movie. It could just be sitting with a cup of tea by oneself. But my point is, find that thing that serves as a mini retreat from the cares and stress of the world. Once I discovered how beneficial this was to my own heart and mental sanity (it's real y'all) I had to write up on it. It's important to also share your "Boat" with someone close to you, that way if someone happens to walk in on your "rejuvenation time" they will understand "oh! My homegirl is taking a minute to process." My biggest boat (it's also okay to have more than one) is music, so if y'all see me grooving with my headphones in... 9/10 times I'm chilling on my "boat." I'm curious to hear about what some of your boats are as well. Try this out for a week and I promise you'll see how much of a positive effect it has on your spiritual, emotional, and mental state.
Here are some pictures from this past weekend that served as such a beautiful escape for me. Feeling so full of love and happiness. Thanks JC. 


















 

1 comment so far

Bohemian Candor © . Design by FCD.